Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Good Food Good Mood?

    Why can't I make a simple meal for my family? My family beg's me for a simple roasted
chicken, but can I oblige? No, I can't. I reach for the truffles and the roasted garlic or I put
tandoori spices on it or I have to make ricotta gnocchi with it. I CAN"T HELP MYSELF!
I might need "Chef's Anonymous" or something. But I personally don't see the big problem
here. When I was growing up, putting salt and pepper on my food was a big deal, and I
think we had garlic powder. That was about it. I just want to make dinner-time a really
good memory for my kids. Instead, I think I'm traumatizing them. My son's pretty cool,
I have to say that he'll at least try anything I make. But my youngest daughter...Nope. She
flat out refuses to try some of the thing's I make. Now I can see if I'm making Frog's
Legs or Veal Sweetbreads or something out of the ordinary. But I'm talking BBQ
ribs or meatloaf or steak of some sort. She'll eat these thing's at her friends houses all day,
but here...Nope.
    Now my wife has expanded her palette since we've been together, but in the beginning
it was like pulling teeth. She was very picky, she didn't like fruit with her main course, I
mean how can you not like apples with pork or apricots with stewed chicken. But she's
come around, slowly, and she's trying different thing's. There's a few things we're still
working on like lamb and duck, which I happen to love. But we're getting there. In fact,
sometimes she criticizes me like she's a judge on Iron Chef. And I think " Oh no, I've
created a monster".
    But, with all that being said, simple thing's are no longer in my repertoire. My secret
weapons are fresh herbs and every type of wine or alcohol there is. Not to mention the
 teachings of my old buddy Escoffier, who did all of his work without any modern
conveniences. You see I owe it to him to keep my meals as complicated as possible.
....What?...OK Dear...I have to go now and make grilled cheese for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment